Monday, January 25, 2016

Understanding Metamedia

Before this article I never really thought about the fact that some many common image manipulations only existed after computers and then editing softwares were invented. When I edit images on my phone I can sharpen or blur them which, as far as I know, wasn't possible to do with physical photos before. Perhaps if I grew up without computer software like my parents I would have a greater appreciation for the ability and creativity data manipulation allows us to have in art. For me, metamedia isn't something I consider to be new because it's something I've encountered my entire life when using a computer. As a kid I would edit images on Photobucket and would teach myself how to use basic http back when I played on Neopets (so I wasn't completely wasting my time raising fake pets considering I still remember how to insert a link or image on a webpage). In the context of the art history of humans, computers being a medium and data manipulation as a tool is a very recent addition to the world of art. I believe data manipulation has years to grow into a mainstream way to create fine art just like drawing and painting is thought of today and only will become that way as current and future generations are surrounded by digital media.

No comments:

Post a Comment