Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Metamedia


The development of metamedia and working out of "meatspace" is a relatively new yet already very helpful addition to my art and art in general for mainly two reasons. One reason is financially. It's a lot easier to create digital paintings and sell prints rather than buying materials and creating a new piece every time. This makes art more readily available to the public and circulated faster. I am of there personal belief that the more art there is the better. While i don't consider drawings and paintings antiquated or obsolete, it's reasonable to say that digital media has made art accessible to someone who doesn't have a lot of money. Another reason is  the truly limitless opportunities created with digital media. I didn't even know that new media was a real art style let alone a degree. (I was really artistically ignorant before college, I blame my high school) There were combinations of visual and audio art that i couldn't even imagine. I went to the Aurora light show in Dallas a couple months ago and i saw a great example. It was a projection of a woman on strands of pink fabric dancing while a track of her singing that has been altered to a lower pitch played. It blew my mind to find out that this piece came from UNT. I changed my major from Drawing and Painting to New Media shortly after.I'm honestly grateful to whatever cosmic art god allowed for the development of a media beyond the tangible.

No comments:

Post a Comment