Thursday, March 24, 2016

Kay and Goldberg_PierceH_Week11

        When reading this piece by Kay and Goldberg, I get perplexed at when Kay says, 
     "the interactions of humans with their media have been primarily nonconversational and passive in the sense that marks on paper, paint on walls, even "motion" pictures and television, do not change in response to the viewers wishes." (Pg.393)
              The reason this confuses me is because it is a complete one-eighty from Vertov's prowess and manipulation over his viewer. Not to mention, in Television we experience emotional reactions when a politician does something stupid or when your favorite sports team does poorly, to name a few. Maybe I'm taking this to a more literal sense than what Kay had in context. While I do agree that our interactions with media are nonconversational, I think that for the most part, we aren't passive to any degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment